Tackling Anti-Social Behaviour

anti-social graphicAnti-social Behaviour has increasingly become a matter for public concern. If you have been a victim of Anti-social Behaviour it can have a negative impact on your quality of life. North Wales Police, along with our partners, are committed to reducing and resolving crime and Anti-social Behaviour that impacts on our communities.

What is Anti-Social Behaviour

Anti-social Behaviour is behaviour by an individual or group that results in:
  • Another party feeling personally threatened
  • The creation of a public nuisance OR
  • A detrimental impact upon the environment or upon the quality of life of an individual or the community as a whole


Anti-social Behaviour covers a very broad range of events. It may include actions or behaviour that are crimes, or actions or behaviour, which are not recorded as crimes in law, although they can also have a very serious impact on an individual or a local community and some examples are highlighted below. This behaviour can be repeated over a period of time and can lead to a sense of fear and vulnerability for victims.


Anti-social Behaviour Incidents recorded as a crime

The following incidents are types of Anti-social Behaviour, which can be recorded as crime and will be dealt with by North Wales Police appropriately:

  • Hate crime incidents (more information on Hate Crime)
  • Graffiti and vandalism
  • Threatening behaviour by groups of people, often young people
  • Alcohol related incidents, such as under age drinking and disorderly behaviour
  • Begging
  • Drug dealing


Other incidents of Anti-social Behaviour

Not all cases of Anti-social Behaviour involve crime. The following are types of Anti-social Behaviour and incidents, which are not recorded as crimes but are still taken seriously:

  • Litter and rubbish dumping, unkempt gardens
  • Disturbance caused by noise, such as loud music and late parties
  • Abandoned cars
  • Uncontrolled pets


These examples are not definitive or exhaustive and each report will need to be judged in its own right. In such cases a decision will be made about who is best placed to resolve the problem and take relevant action.


The police may well deal with an incident or it may best be dealt with by another agency, such as a Local Authority or Housing Association.


What we are doing about Anti-social Behaviour?


image of anti-social behaviour strategy documentOne of our Three Year Strategic Priorities is to reduce and resolve crime and anti social behaviour that impacts on our communities. We are committed to providing local policing that is visible, accessible and responsive. We particularly aim to help those who are vulnerable, and the negative impact that Anti-social Behaviour can have on their lives must not be underestimated.


Find out more, download our Anti-social Behaviour Strategy here


There are several ways police and partner agencies may deal with anti-social behaviour. These may include:
  • Patrolling the area
  • Directing people to leave
  • Arrest and prosecution if a crime has been committed
  • Agreeing an Acceptable Behaviour Contract with the person responsible for the anti-social behaviour
  • Restorative justice – where the culprit and victim agree what should be done to repair the harm


Councils and housing providers also have powers including:

  • Enforce tenancy conditions or evictions
  • Serve noise abatement orders
  • Enforce or change the conditions of premises licensed to sell alcohol.


What you can do about anti-social behaviour?

  • Report it

    Reporting incidents is vital. It means police and other agencies can act early to tackle problems or gather evidence for further action.

    The police might not always be best placed to deal with your complaint, for example if the issue is noise nuisance, abandoned cars or problems with your neighbours. Often your local council or housing association will be able to provide the support you need.  Click here for a list of partners who may be able to help you.


    If you are harassed or victimised, if anti-social behaviour is affecting your quality of life, contact your local Neighbourhood Policing Team or call 101. If the situation is an emergency (if someone's life or safety is threatened or a crime is in progress) call 999.


  • Advice for Parents
    Talk to your kids.  Sometimes what they might see as ‘just having a laugh’ can have a real negative impact or could be causing distress to members of your community.