Police Registration Scheme

If you come from one of the following countries then you will have a stamp in your passport that says you must register with the police within 7 days of arriving in the UK.


Afghanistan_Flag Afghanistan Iran Iran Peru Peru
algeria flag Algeria Iraq Iraq Qatar Qatar
Argentina Argentina Israel Israel Russia Russia
Armenia Armenia Jordan Jordan Saudi Arabia Saudi Arabia
Azerbaijan Azerbaijan Kazakhstan Kazakhstan Sudan Sudan
Bahrain Bahrain Kirgizstan Kirgizstan Syria Syria
Belarus Belarus Kuwait Kuwait Tajikistan Tajikistan
Bolivia Bolivia Lebanon Lebanon Tunisia Tunisia
Brazil Brazil Libya Libya Turkey Turkey
China China Moldova Moldova Turkmenistan Turkmenistan
Colombia Colombia Morocco Morocco United Arab Emirates United Arab Emirates
Cuba Cuba North Korea North Korea Ukraine Ukraine
Egypt Egypt Oman Oman  Uzbekistan Uzbekistan
Georgia Georgia Palestine Palestine Yemen Yemen

I need to register, will my dependants need to register as well?
Your dependants will need to register, if they are over the age of 16 and their nationality is one from the list above.  Each person who needs to register will have it stated in their visa.


Where can I register?

You can register at your nearest Police Station.

When you go to the police station please make sure that you have all of the following with you, otherwise you will not be able to register:
  • 2 passport-sized photographs
  • your passport
  • £34 registration fee
  • your offer letter from your University (if you are a student)


What will happen if I do not register with the Police within seven days?

Failure to register with the Police is an offence under Section 26(1) (f) of the Immigration Act 1971 and where a person fails to register, the Police can consider prosecution. You can be liable to a fine of up to £5,000, six months' imprisonment, or both. Your stay in the UK may also be affected.

The Home Office notify the Police of foreign nationals who have not registered and enquiries are then completed to ensure that Police Registration is complied with.

You must report to the Police within 7 days any of the following changes:

  • change of address
  • change of University (if you are a student
  • change of marital status or birth of children
  • extension of stay granted by the UK Border Agency
  • change of passport
  • temporary absence of 8 weeks or more from registered address.

If you need to update your Police Registration Certificate with any of the changes you must visit your local Police Station to do so.


Registering with the police is an important procedure, and if you are in any doubt about what you need to do, you should visit your nearest Police Station.


What should I do with my Police Registration Certificate when my stay in the UK is completed and I am returning to my home country?

When you are planning on returning home on a permanent basis, it is essential that you return your Police Registration Certificate to North Wales Police Headquarters informing us of your departure details.


If you have any questions about registering with the Police please contact us within office hours:

Nationality Department
North Wales Police Headquarters
Colwyn Bay
LL29 8AW

Telephone: 01492 804120


Nationality Department
North Wales Police Headquarters
Colwyn Bay
LL29 8AW

Telephone: 01492 804120