Accessing information held about you
The Data Protection Act 2018 (The Act) gives an individual the right to have a copy of any personal data held about them by North Wales Police, unless an exemption applies.
The Act states that a 'data subject' (the person about whom the personal data refers) is entitled to be informed whether or not personal data is held or processed about them (unless an exemption applies)
Information released under this legislation allows individuals to satisfy themselves that where information is being processed about them, it is accurate, not excessive and is not being kept longer than necessary.
It is limited to information relating to the applicant only and will not give access to information relating to other individuals.
It is unlikely therefore, that this method will be an appropriate way to obtain information about others, nor is it likely to be suitable for individuals considering, or taking, legal action against an individual or organisation. In such circumstances the normal legal channels of discovery are generally more appropriate.
Any information not relating to the applicant will be edited out where one or more of the following circumstances apply:
- The release of the information could lead to the identification of another individual to whom North Wales Police have a duty of confidence.
- This will often be where the recorded information involves more than one individual, e.g. a crime report identifies both a victim and suspect/offender. The offender will not normally be given personal details of victims and vice versa.
- Information being processed for the prevention or detection of crime or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders.
- We will not release intelligence about an individual under these provisions if doing so could undermine the fight against crime.
If you wish to know what information (if any) is held about you by North Wales Police, please complete the subject access form by using the appropriate link below.
What Subject Access should NOT be used for:
- Requests for information for employment purposes
- Police certificates for visas, emigration or residency
- Crime reports for insurance claims
- Subject Access Privacy Notice (PDF)
- Subject Access form (MS Word)
- Access your PNC information (caution/conviction history)
Information Standards & Compliance
North Wales Police Headquarters
Glan Y Don
Phone: 01492 805125